Julf wrote:
> Because some of us are. Even more of us are engineers. Engineering is
> applied science - that is what audio is.
>

> But that is exactly what "subjectivists" seem to miss - we have done
> exactly that. There are pretty well understood and verified scientific
> explanations as to why people hear a difference, but the science is
> perceptional science and psychology.
>

> "The scientific method is an ongoing process, which usually begins with
> observations about the natural world. Human beings are naturally
> inquisitive, so they often come up with questions about things they see
> or hear and often develop ideas (hypotheses) about why things are the
> way they are. The best hypotheses lead to predictions that can be tested
> in various ways, including making further observations about nature. In
> general, the strongest tests of hypotheses come from carefully
> controlled and replicated experiments that gather empirical data.
> Depending on how well the tests match the predictions, the original
> hypothesis may require refinement, alteration, expansion or even
> rejection. If a particular hypothesis becomes very well supported a
> general theory may be developed.
>
> Although procedures vary from one field of inquiry to another,
> identifiable features are frequently shared in common between them. The
> overall process of the scientific method involves making conjectures
> (hypotheses), deriving predictions from them as logical consequences,
> and then carrying out experiments based on those predictions. A
> hypothesis is a conjecture, based on knowledge obtained while
> formulating the question. The hypothesis might be very specific or it
> might be broad. Scientists then test hypotheses by conducting
> experiments. Under modern interpretations, a scientific hypothesis must
> be falsifiable, implying that it is possible to identify a possible
> outcome of an experiment that conflicts with predictions deduced from
> the hypothesis; otherwise, the hypothesis cannot be meaningfully
> tested.
>
> The purpose of an experiment is to determine whether observations agree
> with or conflict with the predictions derived from a hypothesis.[8]
> Experiments can take place in a college lab, on a kitchen table, at
> CERN's Large Hadron Collider, at the bottom of an ocean, on Mars, and so
> on."
>
> So what specific parts are we ignoring?

Yes, yes, yes. I understand scientific method.  But you (again, your
group) are agenda driven.  I've seen the "tests" you perform where you
set up two utterly different systems - one lo-fi, one upper-mid-fi, and
abx them behind a screen. You trot out a bunch of audiophiles who are
utterly wamboozled and unable to differentiate which one is X.

I've taken these tests and know how incredibly difficult they are, even
when there's an easily-verifiable difference waiting to be noticed. If
you're not practiced at it -- really well practiced -- you're gonna flub
the test.

So, I am quite convinced by my own experience that ABX is not a valid
test for subtle differences in audio.  JH901 or whatever his name is, is
trying to set up an ABX test using cables.  Without even knowing the
scenario in detail, I do know that if he sets the test up correctly he's
going to fail miserably.  Does that mean there's no difference?  I
really don't know.  I hear differences in cables, but I can't say for
sure whether it's expectation bias or a real difference that flies under
the ABX radar.  I suspect the latter, but have no way of proving it.
I'm not about to spend my time and money trying to figure out how better
to run or create a test, but my suspicions are, I feel, the basis for
audiophile's rejection of ABX.  It seems wrong, and nobody's trying to
figure out anything better.  There's no money in it, so nobody's putting
effort into it.

As I stated up front, I feel that you're 100% agenda driven, so I don't
expect you to find any merit in what I'm saying, but I had to try.  I'm
gone now, until my blood pressure boils up again in a month or so.

Jason