jh901 wrote:
> Can you support your claim that "good" AVRs and modern, well regarded
> tube power amps deliver the same audible experience and hold value
> equally well?

That cheery little chap is on my ignore list, so I don't see his posts.
But your quote revealed one.  Thanks for nothing!

Anyway, a simple way to contrast the relative values is to nip over to
Audiogon and check how much a 10-year-old top-of-the-line AVR sells for,
versus a 10-year-old tube amp.

Old AVRs are essentially worthless. They depreciate like computers.
Makes sense, really - who wants an AVR that only switches S-video
signals?  On the other hand, a Dynaco Stereo 70 is worth more now than
it was when new (not adjusted for inflation, of course).

In 1993 or so, I bought a used Sonic Frontiers SFS-40 amp for (IIRC)
$1000.  Long out of production, they still sell for that now.

Jason