doctor_big wrote:

> Old AVRs are essentially worthless. They depreciate like computers.
> Makes sense, really - who wants an AVR that only switches S-video
> signals?  On the other hand, a Dynaco Stereo 70 is worth more now than
> it was when new (not adjusted for inflation, of course).

Indeed, Jason.

The pre-amp section alone of common AVRs is cheaply implemented compared
to a stand-alone tube pre-amp.  My Cary SLP-05 was introduced in 2006
and it remains on the market today with quite a healthy MSRP.  Who knew
that Dennis Had has any talent!?  Engineers who actually design audio
gear for a living and who have decades of experience will run circles
around Hydrogen worshipers, but they've gotten themselves locked in
pretty good.  I have a great deal of fun listening to music and adding
to my collection.  The OP would be wise to consider tube integrated amp.

Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 | Cary Audio SA-200.2 |
Focal Diablo Utopia III
__Acoustic treatment: DIY Cylinder Bass traps | "Rule of Thirds" for
speaker & sweet spot position
__Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval | Shunyata Venom series
power cords and power conditioning