Archimago wrote:
> That's a good point Arny. Because the idea of valuing audio equipment as
> an "investment" bestows upon them a non-utilitarian mystique. The
> problem is that many refuse to acknowledge the main reasons why this
> stuff is expensive - they look good, impresses friends and family, makes
> a guy (usually) feel good that he has "reached the pinnacle" of
> quality... All these are of course characteristics of luxury goods. None
> of those qualities necessary imply that it -sounds any good-.

We all know that people buy Ferraris for the reliability, great fuel
economy and ample luggage space. :)

> As much as we might be the "underdogs" in this battle among
> self-professed "audiophiles" at this time, I do think it's still worth
> "the fight"... I think in time, the "objectivist audiophile" will again
> be the dominant viewpoint.

It is worth the fight, but I am afraid "objectivist audiophile" will be
the dominant viewpoint about the same time as we get rid of homeopathy,
conspiracy theories, superstition and horoscopes...

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953