bonze wrote:
> I thought all audiophiles loved jazz and the more obscure the better,
> preferably on the original vinyl.

Well I am and have been a jazz fan for over 40 years and I do have
plenty of jazz on vinyl however most of the jazz on vinyl that I own is
not original vinyl since by the time I started buying it in the 1970s
most of it was either reissue or remastered or repackaged. Once CDs and
downloads came along I left all that behind. And while I own my fair
share of jazz vocals I much prefer instrumental jazz. I also do not go
for the make believe jazz that audiophiles seem to enjoy and would
rather listen to Duke Ellington, Count Basie or Louie Armstrong in
poorly recorded mono than well recorded "fake" jazz.

The funny thing is that there plenty of very nicely recorded jazz
available that is completely under the audiophile radar. For example
"Country Cooking" by Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath is one of
the most dynamic and best recorded big band jazz recording you will ever
hear. Thankfully this treasure never made it onto to one of HP's "Super
Disc" lists, aka recordings to be avoided at all costs.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos