Mnyb wrote:
> +1000
>
> I think that’s it , the hobby has gotten so weird that it scares away
> people . Think about some very music interested person goes to a hifi
> store then starts to be feed all the BS about magical  cables and then
> see the price tags , they probably back out slowly and then starts
> running when outside of the door .
> This leaves a steadilly shrinking group of hardcore placebophiles .. But
> the die away that’s usually the solution . If more rational young
> individuals can be interested they slowly take over . If we are lucky
> that new demographic will reach a turning point when it's more money in
> cater for a more rational pow , Then advertisers magazines etc have to
> cater to that to make thier money . It will still be biased by
> advertising money of-course but with less fairy dust and unicorns .

Yup. Interesting example because a couple months ago when I visited a
doctor friend near Toronto, he told me how he just started to buy LPs
after being given an old TT and started looking at the magazines and
website. He certainly did not seem impressed by the views expressed...

> I'm not overly confident in IQ test, they only measure your ability to
> perform the tests if . I'm not convinced that they correlate to strongly
> to actual intelligence even the idea that it can be understood as one
> number is a simplification . The fact that it's very hard to isolate
> cultural bias and education from "base potential" says a lot people
> perform better after education than before and more than we think are
> learned skills . It's almost impossible to come up with test that not
> use ome some education for example they are written in a language or you
> have to talk to someone in a language that itselfs shapes the questions
> . Pictograms ? not really the concept of drawing and art has to be
> learned .
> Heck some nature people don't even understands 3D perspective on
> drawings they never familiarised them self with the concept . Some
> tribes has almost no maths, but we would not survive 5 minutes in the
> rainforest of Borneo for example .

True, the concept of IQ testing is very much tied in to the tests and
customizations across cultures... Lots of issues with generalizing
everything down to a single number. Even just separating into "verbal"
vs. "performance" IQ helps provide a better picture. Not to speak of
further fine-tuning in terms of visuospatial ability, verbal fluency,
abstract reasoning, processing speed, etc. subscales... But I digress.

I guess it's interesting and important to just look at the big picture
of cognitive ability and recognize that for humanity as a whole, there
will be some percentage which will hang on to irrational beliefs whether
it be cultural, "genetic" to some extent, or educational exposure /
intellectual ability.

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.