d6jg wrote:
> I have seriously considered a second hand Technics SL 1210 and may end
> up there.
> To answer the headshell question. I have 2 decks - a Trio KD1033B circa
> 1975 which I love to bits but was broken for a while and so I bought a
> Technics clone in the form of a Sherwood PM9800.
> The head shells contain - an Ortofon VMS20E (my favourite but I struggle
> to get new styli), an Ortofon 2m Red, a Stanton 500E, an unknown
> cartridge that came with the Sherwood and an empty headshell that I am
> thinking of installing an AT95 into.
> I have considered the Onkyo - it fits all requirements - but has mixed
> reviews.

Good selection of cartridges there. Definitely the ability to switch
headshells easily is a major plus IMO. I certainly would not give up
this convenience; I really hate having to redo cartridge alignment each
time... Recalibrating VTF is no big deal but getting out the protractor
with each cartridge sucks IMO (I'm not enough of a masochist :p). My
buddy Ingemar at 'PrivateBits' (http://www.privatebits.net/) really
loves his AT150MLX with the SL1210 but it is a bit more costly. We trade
needle drops at times to listen to differences and the detail he can
extract from that baby is excellent. However the AT sound seems to
accentuate trebles. I've certainly noticed this with my old AT70 as
well. Maybe not as much an issue with AT95?

I have a Stanton 890SA as well which is said to be excellent with a
fancy Jico shibata stylus but I have never bothered to mailorder this
from Japan. I really have no complaints with my affordable Denon DL-110
high output moving coil - certainly gives me some excellent detail
retrieval with good all-round tonality (details maybe a little shy of
the AT150MLX but I think it is more forgiving of old used albums). I
personally am not into vinyl enough to spend much more since I still
only buy used stuff / early pressings I never could afford when I was a
kid. Most of the reissues these days originate from digital anyways so I
happily stick to the CD or digital downloads.

What can I say, the ease of use, reliability and build quality of the
genuine Technics is quite impressive compared to current competing
models at that lower price range. And there are nice deals out there
with patience looking around. One convenience I wouldn't mind having is
automatic tonearm lifter at the end of the album like the Q-Up but
unfortunately this isn't compatible. Oh well.

Have fun! There's great joy to be had in analogue world...

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.