atrocity wrote:
> I'm curious if anyone has compared recordings made via their computers
> with something along the lines of a Roland R-05.  My first attempts at
> digitizing were done in 1998 using a computer and were disastrous...too
> many dropped samples.  I know that things have improved dramatically
> since then, but I've never tried again, finding it easier first to use a
> standalone CD recorder and later the Zoom H2 and now Roland R-05.  I've
> heard lots of complaints about computers generating noise, yet it seems
> like the computer route is how the "serious" people do their digitizing.
My guess is that back in 1998 you were probably using some sort of old
Soundblaster or perhaps an Ensoniq, probably on an ISA bus. Soundcards
of that era were indeed prone to picking up weird noises from the
activities of other subsystems in the PC - things like the video card,
even the mouse. What made it even more annoying was that the noises were
not constant - you'd often get little "chirrups" coming and going. (I
started digitizing vinyl back in 1994, and used an external A/D
converter going through a Zefiro ZA1 SPDIF I/O card specifically to
avoid those kind of noise problems).

But in the last 15 or so years, most PCI bus soundcards have been pretty
immune to noise pickup. I use an M-Audio AP2496 and it doesn't pick up
any audible noise at all. The same is true of all the other
well-respected soundcards. That said, if I was in need of a new
soundcard, I'd almost certainly go for an external USB device, simply
because they are more flexible and can be moved easily from PC to PC.

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A