Archimago wrote:
> The Sony PS-X series with Biotracer arms are nice machines! I was
> looking for one locally last year but couldn't find any in good shape
> :(.

I was a KID when I bought that thing...it's got to be 35 years ago now.
It spent significant time in the shop after a few years but has been
wonderful since (fingers crossed).  I worry that no one will be able to
work on it when the inevitable need eventually arises.  I've also got a
small, cheap linear tracking Technics SL-Q6 that sounds surprisingly
good.  I'd love to have a PS-X800, but they seem to go for $1,000 or
more and would have the same service issues.

Archimago wrote:
> Yes, check out a USB ADC if you can / curious. Noise level extremely low
> these days although your Roland R-05 I assume is already excellent. Also
> the Roland's price is great for a 24/96 ADC already!

It probably is the price that makes me wonder if I can do better.  I'm
falling victim to the "It cost less than my car, it can't possibly be
any good!" syndrome. :)

One thing I'm really having shoved in my face lately is how frustrating
analog could be.  I just transferred a nice 7-1/2 IPS reel from near the
end of the pre-recorded days when they really sounded good.  The
underlying sound quality is very nice indeed...but apparently something
went wrong during the duplication and it's full of obvious wow.  And now
I've come to realize that my cassette deck is apparently running
slow...or, more accurately, is now running slower than it used to.  I
don't know if it's wrong now or was wrong prior to its last trip to the
shop...for all I know, the shop corrected a long-running problem, but
now I can't play back decades of tapes accurately.  I've experimented
with digital speed correction and found it OK on what was a pretty bad
recording to begin with, I don't know if it will still sound good on
something more demanding.