docbob wrote:
> It's pretty arbitrary, right? 16 years for driving. 18,000 ft for Class
> A airspace... In our context, I think the arbitrary choice is up to the
> person spending time and/or money. My line may be different from yours.
> My own cost/benefit.
>
> May I edit? "High end audio magazines are deemed irrelevant" by me for
> upholding standards to which I would hold myself.
>
> A poorly designed apple to the same poorly designed apple isn't valid?
> That's what I meant. Many assume that if "it is known" how to design
> properly, that all available designs are proper. That's not the case.

First what I meant by "deemed irrelevant" is that the measurements as
taken and presented by the high end audio magazine are dismissed by that
very same magazine whenever those measurements run counter to the
opinions being expressed. For example the measurements for two DACs
under review, with one DAC costing under $500 and the other DAC costing
well over $5000, are taken and presented and the measurements show that
there are no measurable differences between the DACs but the review
states that the expensive DAC clearly sounds better than the inexpensive
DAC. In this case the measurements are deemed irrelevant by the reviewer
since the measurements failed to show just how much better the expensive
DAC sounds.

In 2015 why are we even discussing poorly designed equipment, except of
course when that poorly designed equipment is being used to prove a
point that doesn't exist in properly and well designed equipment.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos