Archimago wrote:
> Excellent discussion guys!

> 4. The recent advent of the JitterBug and UpTone's USB Regen is more on
> the same theme... Neither have released any useful technical information
> to show they work. In fact, measurements for the JitterBug in
> 'Stereophile has suggested no effect'
> (http://www.stereophile.com/content/audioquest-jitterbug-usb-noise-filter-measurements)
> and the eye pattern published suggests 'worsening rise time'
> (http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18311-AQ-Jitterbug-Measurements/page20).
> All reported benefits seem to be either from company representatives or
> testimony (like John Atkinson's). And of course 'lots of talk about
> Regen' (http://uptoneaudio.com/pages/j-swenson-tech-corner) with still
> no objective evidence (heck, I'm not even sure if the Regen is supposed
> to address jitter or not). Oh, BTW, 'here's Mark Waldrep's testing with
> the Regen' (http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=5150). Predictably, -nada
> -according to him but there were some other followups with folks who
> thought they did hear something... Alas no actual controlled ABX'ing I
> think. The arguments rage on...
>
> 5. Cables themselves are not capable of changing the speed of data
> transfer! They cannot speed up or slow down the data. Therefore they
> have no role in "causing" more or less jitter. I think some cable
> companies have made this assertion in the past!
>
> Fun times :o.

Thanks Archimago for the entertaining links. As usual your knowledge and
understanding of these issues is first rate.

Here's my take on all those aftermarket jitter removal devices:

First let's just assume for argument's sake that these devices actually
do what they claim to do. Then let's look at the price of these devices,
which for the most part is not all that costly. So what puzzles me is
why aren't the manufacturers of all these wildly expensive audiophile
DACs simply building their own version of the devices right into the
DAC? Very similar to aftermarket power cords - why doesn't a very
expensive piece of audio equipment come with the proper power cord?
(Answer - they already do)

In the case of Audioquest, the makers of the Jitterbug, doesn't the mere
existence of the Jitterbug make the Audioquest Dagonfly DAC seem like a
broken piece of equipment? I mean if they can build the Jitterbug and
the Dagonfly, why can't they just build a Dragonfly with the Jitterbug
already built in? (Answer - more MONEY!)

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos