ralphpnj wrote:
> Thanks Archimago for the entertaining links. As usual your knowledge and
> understanding of these issues is first rate.
>
> Here's my take on all those aftermarket jitter removal devices:
>
> First let's just assume for argument's sake that these devices actually
> do what they claim to do. Then let's look at the price of these devices,
> which for the most part is not all that costly. So what puzzles me is
> why aren't the manufacturers of all these wildly expensive audiophile
> DACs simply building their own version of the devices right into the
> DAC? Very similar to aftermarket power cords - why doesn't a very
> expensive piece of audio equipment come with the proper power cord?
> (Answer - they already do)
>
> In the case of Audioquest, the makers of the Jitterbug, doesn't the mere
> existence of the Jitterbug make the Audioquest Dagonfly DAC seem like a
> broken piece of equipment? I mean if they can build the Jitterbug and
> the Dagonfly, why can't they just build a Dragonfly with the Jitterbug
> already built in? (Answer - more MONEY!)

Yup.

Actually it could be worse than that! The JitterBug could be impacting
the rise time negatively as suggested by some (look at the
WhatsBestForum discussion on the eye pattern)... In which case, by using
the Jitterbug, one could potentially cause problems! Notice in
'Lavorgna's review'
(http://www.audiostream.com/content/audioquest-jitterbug-usb-data-power-noise-filter#Q4mV0Gf3a5qqi3Q3.97),
there was the situation where the Auralic Vega's "Exact" clock setting
stuttered with the JitterBug between the LH Lightspeed 2G USB cable &
DAC. He just skipped over that as if it's nothing... Clearly the DAC
didn't like the signal it "saw" at the tolerance it was able to function
at previously!

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.