sckramer wrote:
> I prefer feeding the client PCM (WAV) only, for all file types, even for
> mp3, then the CPU is practically idle, it just has to read it out to the
> PCM->i2s chip

It might minimize userspace CPU load, but it increases I/O load due to
having to transfer and load double the amount of data. For mp3, doing
the decoding on the server might actually make sense, as you can use
better software.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953