marcoc1712 wrote:
> Some people claims lower cpu is better, some others think is the way
> memory is used that matter, you are pointing out something else... Sure
> I'm not the one who could pretend to know how it works and why, but at
> least we could clear the field from one big lie tourning here around for
> a wile:
>
> No way flac is less demanding than wav other than for network bandwidth
> and storage space.
>
> If someone want people believe the opposite, or use this point against
> streaming wav, then he has to show us why, with evidences.

I agree. A fact-based discussion is good, and it does seem like your
numbers provide pretty strong evidence that the CPU load is greater when
decoding a compressed file format compared to the extra I/O load caused
by the uncompressed data.

Any possible audible effects are of course still speculation.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953