Thanks all for your replies;

> When my transporter bites the dust, I'll replace it with one of my extra
> TOUCH units and my only purchase will be deciding what sort of new DAC I
> want to buy and connect the TOUCH to.

okay good point. I will probably end up doing that. Was also wondering
if there was a proper "new" replacement from another manufacturer so i
don't have to buy a used Touch with no warranty, etc.

> Obvious low cost solution is a RaspPi running piCorePlayer plus
> HiFiBerry Digi+ (cost for both is under $100) feeding whatever external
> DAC they like. ($450 for the SMS-100 is robbery).
That looks interesting also.. i will look if i can find someone who
sells the "finished product", including a nice case and stuff.
I've been browsing around and found 'this awesome thing'
(http://www.crazy-audio.com/2014/11/a-squeezebox-replacement-based-on-the-hifiberry-dac-and-the-raspberry-pi/)
would be nice if someone would actually sell them.

> It could be just the PSU. There is a thread about replacing the
> Transporter CPU.
>
> Anyway, please don't trash it, someone would like it for parts.

i'm not really the do-it-yourself-hardware-type of guy... but i
definitely won't trash it :-)