cliveb wrote:
> What are your sources? If they are native 24 bit, then fair enough.
> However, if they are mainly 16 bit from CD rips, then you really don't
> need to worry about dither. Many years ago the SB and TP firmwares were
> updated so that all digital attentuation steps down to about -40dB or so
> were arranged such that there was never any fixed point rounding or
> truncation of the 16th bit (ie. not until you get down to the point
> where the 16th bit becomes the 24th bit).

Thanks for that info , then the noise floor on the rest of your hifi is
the deciding factor of where you are to apply the volume or combinations
thereof . For example with the proper attenuation or gain driving a
power amp directly will be trouble free.

That may also explain my results as my system is a bit different with
another digital volume applied in the speakers given 16 bit sources .
Unless I use to much attenuation in the Touch it will be all the same
for me I just use less digital attenuation in my speakers I even get the
same noise floor , it simply becomes a scaling ( the processor works in
floating point anyway then output 24 bit to the speakers .

Given that in practice no DAC performs better than ~20-21 bit I will not
loose sleep .

Btw I tried the practical resolution of my system . -112 dB signals is
audible with the ear against a speaker driver and full volume .
Much less sitting in the listening position with ambient noise etc can
not remember the exact number still at full volume. If don't want to
blow of your ears and play extremely loud I'm quite sure not even 16 bit
is archived in practice in a home setting unless you have an  anechoic
chamber test chamber . Doing this test with your typical listening
volume will usually result that you can't hear signals -70-80dB down .
That is a test signal in isolation not masked by any music it gets
totally quiet !

That get us around to the original subject of the tread , how are we
supposed to hear all the wonderful improvements below say -130 dB :)
they must be there as they are " unmeasurable " according to the cult
practitioners as all objectivist fails to find them .

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )