cliveb wrote:
> Does true galvanic isolation also require a break in the signal
> connections? If so, I have learned something.

True galvanic isolation is just that - true isolation, where there is no
direct electric (galvanic) connection between the two devices. Done
using isolation transformers or optoelectrics - either an optocoupler or
a fibre connection.

The best example is ethernet using twisted pair (cat5, cat6 or whatever)
network cabling, where the ethernet interface contains tiny transformers
("magnetics") for the signal pairs.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953