Julf wrote:
> Unfortunately facts tend to be useless against faith.

I think that it's more like facts just get in the way of making money.

audiomuze wrote:
> I think you mean audiophools.

No I really do mean audiophiles and NOT audiophools since I don't
believe that audiophiles are fools. I believe that the vast majority of
audiophiles have been fooled into believing so much nonsense by a very
complex system that is working very hard to separate them from their
money.

Both the manufacturers and their handmaidens in the media have developed
a very good method to turn unscientific nonsense and pure opinion into
well respected "facts". The objective science side of audio playback and
measurement has been discarded in favor of the subjective opinion side
of audio listening, thus allowing for unscientific nonsense to become
facts.

For example, the whole anti-jitter craze was helped along by some
"respected" audio guru claiming to clearly hear jitter, which is well
known to be impossible by the human auditory system (ears and brains).
Now instead of the audio press simply stating this and therefore
discrediting or a least disregarding the opinion of this audio guru,
what happened was just the opposite - this unscientific nonsense became
an audiophile fact - humans can hear jitter. And once this bogus "fact"
was established the whole anti-jitter craze was born and lots of well
intending audiophiles has been happily separated from their money.

In the US the automobile industry uses JD Powers awards in much the same
way, i.e. the manufacturers pay JD Powers for an award and then they
advertise how they "earned" a JD Powers award. Since most consumers
don't realize that the JD Powers awards were purchased and not earned,
the system works quite well.

In the world of high end audio the manufacturer makes some outrageous
claim, such as the Audioquest Jitterbug device really works, and the
audio press loudly declares the device to be a sonic marvel and even
gives it all kinds of awards. These awards then show up in the
manufacturer's advertisements. Again this little system works quite
well.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos