ralphpnj wrote:
> Can you say "bluetooth"?
>
> Stand alone bluetooth speakers paired to smartphones which are in turn
> streaming mp3 quality audio is way many people under 30 are currently
> experiencing music listening and that "many" will soon become "most".
>
> Between the above plus the constant stream of beliefs that run counter
> to science all coupled with the insane upward price spiral of high end
> audio equipment (there are now speakers and amplifiers that cost more
> than a top of the line Mercedes Benz) high end audio will very shortly
> be relegated to the dust bin of history.

Many good points here guys. However I think there will always be a
segment who will gravitate towards high quality sound. At least in
English, I hope we get away from "audiophile" as the pejorative term for
the cazed obsessionality and back to the literal meaning of "high
fidelity" as something worthy of achieving. We can have "high fidelity"
in a stereo system, home theater, a computer sound set-up, streaming,
etc... -But the word "audiophile" can be sacrificed on the alter to
describe the cultist heads of the audio press and their acolytes.- That
segment IMO is already on track to extinction.

IMO, this hobby can regain respectability again with serious hobbyists
who want good hardware and knowing what they want ('\"high fidelity\" as
\"technical accuracy\" as I recently wrote'
(http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2016/02/musings-on-high-fidelity-audiophilia.html)).
Approach it in from the perspective of science rather than voodoo and I
suspect many young people will come back. They will ask questions and
explore the hardware more because they will realize that there's no need
to be members of the "Church of Audiophilia" or endure the snobbish
attitudes we often see.

I'm approaching my mid-40's now and I can say that young folks I've met
do get impressed with the sound of a nice system. They have come and ask
about what to buy and are appreciative that I tell them to get Monoprice
12G speaker cables rather than something wasteful. They can hear the
difference a well mastered version of Rolling Stones sounds versus
compressed remasters. Heck, I was even talking to a vinylphile today who
agreed with me that he buys vinyl NOT for sound quality but for the
"look and feel" and didn't think people like Michael Fremer represent
the viewpoint for him or his friends. (We then proceeded to a lovely
discussion about classic rock and where I pick up my used vinyl in
town...)

No worries... It'll be just grand! :-)

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.