garym wrote:
> I'd say no, you haven't missed anything. Perhaps the idea that it is a
> server that is agnostic to many different player endpoints but is
> fortunately NOT generic/not useful DLNA.

Yes that ambition to play on almost any endpoint (expect upnp/dlna)

Julf wrote:
> But you are still at the mercy of a provider of a proprietary system. :(

As always, the mother of all proprietary systems iTunes for example :(

I also dislike proprietary systems as much as anyone else :( ,but these
guys have no hardware to sell to finance the software as SLIM/Logitech
did so charge for their software they must if they want to have a
business .

Another thing happened metadata of any quality has been monetised ,
thats why free projekt struggle to get lyrics pictures reviews and other
stuff .
A large chunk of the ROON fee goes to metadata providers .
If a comercial program show your cover image from you files thats
probably ok but what if it subtitutes with a higher rez one from the
internet ? thst probably some IP rigth there .

My pow i do like nice aditional data when i listen i have my iPad nearby
and using iPeng with suitable plugins read bios and have a clance at
credits pictures etc , is that the artist info plugin that gives me that
.

They provide SDK for hardware manufacturers for RAAT ok but thats not
really free software ? Why cant any hobbyist roll their own player .

Logitech could grove a bussines around mysqueezebox.com by selling that
acess to hardware manufacturers making replacement squeezeboxes . or
maybe the protocols used in our boxes starting showing thier age ?

I also whished that you could source players endpionts software and
servers indepedently , but then you fall down to upnp .

LMS do provide that sort of :)
and its suprisingly resiliant ? I wonder why we survive ,of course all
the free time entusiast use to maintain the system especially Mherger .
I start to develop a theory that we are on the backburner rather than
abandoned , maybe Logitech keeps the infrastructure just in case and it
probably provide some small revenue from service providers .

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )