drmatt wrote:
> No, but I'd agree with Arnyk that any differences will most likely be in
> the analogue components of the two devices. How does the sound from the
> Transporter compare to other SBs?

Did I say that the analog parts of digital music players cause them to
sound different? No memory of ever making that mistake!

Fact is that the passive components of just about all modern mainstream
audio gear are commodity items that are made in accordance with
international standards. IOW a resistor is generally very much like
other similar resistors, and ditto for the capacitors. The general
quality of passive parts has increased, and prices have decreased. A
legacy holy grail audio component  like a Marantz 7 preamp  contains
parts whose quality would get them immediately dust-binned at incoming
inspection in n a modern mid-fi audio component manufacturing plant.

Just about all modern audio gear is assembled from commodity-grade
Surface Mount Technology (SMT) parts. Just because they are commodity
grade doesn't mean that they are lacking in performance. We've come a
long way from the 1960's when all audio gear including professional
recording gear was assembled from inherently unstable (hygroscopic)
carbon composition resistors, tubes that were constantly degrading as we
used them,  and wax-filled paper dielectric capacitors. The distortion
in active components like IC op amps and digital<-> analog converter
chips, while generally well below audibility, still dominates the
measured performance of most audio gear.