pablolie wrote:
> I know plenty of people with Teslas here in the Bay Area.
> *_Except_for_one,_they_are_all_second_cars_*.
Precisely the point I was making earlier. Electric cars are only
suitable for short journeys.

Perhaps it's different in the US to the UK. Over here a lot of
households have just one car, which needs to be capable of long trips as
well as commuting and shopping.

toby10 wrote:
> Hydrogen cars are essentially just electric cars using a different fuel
> (hydrogen instead of batteries).
Yes.

toby10 wrote:
> The one advantage to hydrogen over batteries is refueling time.
Quite so. And my point is that in practical terms this is a deal
breaker. The circumstance when you need to refuel the car quickly is
when you're on a long trip, and you simply can't afford to wait around
for half an hour every 90 mins.

toby10 wrote:
> But every other aspect of hydrogen as a vehicle fuel source is a big
> negative.
Obviously there is an additional stage of inefficiency involved when
electricity is used to make hydrogen which doesn't apply to pure
electric cars.
But we need to solve the generic problem of energy supply regardless
(fusion, anyone?), and if we do that, this issue isn't really a
problem.

Apart from that, what other problems does hydrogen have?

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A