toby10 wrote:
> You likely hear about Canada complaints more often due to the shear
> volume of consumer products being shipped between US/Canada.
>
> We ship industrial chemicals from US to Canada regularly and it is a
> crazy system that even the customs brokerage personnel get confused on.
> Canada has has up to four different taxes of various rates depending on
> where you are shipping + value + type of product:  duty, VAT, provincial
> (state), municipal
>
> We gave up trying to figure it out even on repeat shipments as the
> calculated fees/taxes seems to fluctuate.  We simply wait till we get
> the UPS/FedEx brokerage bill a week later, add it to the invoice, then
> send the invoice and brokerage bill to the customer.  It's crazy.  Our
> Canada customers have even questioned their own government(s) about the
> fees/taxes and they also get varying and confusing and inconsistent
> answers.

Not sure why you have issues. I was involved in importing and exporting
many, many millions of $$ into and from the US for years. Except for
strange/unusual items, it is quite smooth if you follow the basic rules.
Most of the issues arise from transactions made by individuals who don't
understand the basics and assume that free trade eliminates all import
expenses. Canada and the US are each others largest trading partners and
the sheer volume of goods that move daily would quickly grind to a
standstill if the systems didn't work. There are only 2
taxes...Provincial sales tax and Federal GST (called VAT in some
countries). Duty only applies on certain products not originally
produced in the US and being trans-shipped into Canada from a country
where duty still applies, just as it does when going the other way into
the US.