andy_c wrote:
> I browse Audio Asylum from time to time, and I saw this one on a forum
> called "Isolation Ward" ("Iso"). :)
>
> Once in a blue moon I get some good information from AA.  I found out
> about the 1jazz.ru group of Russian jazz stations from there and have
> been listening to the 1jazz.ru hard bop station a ton lately.

Iso ward, eh? Well... Can't say there wasn't some level of insight I
suppose! I agree though, there are some useful nuggets on AA once
awhile.

Julf: I agree that there's no point pointing out facts to the conspiracy
theorists, it often drives them deeper into the systematized paranoid
delusional themes... These "true audiophile" guys seem to be
qualitatively different in that they don't seem paranoid as much. It's
more idiosyncratic thinking based on faulty fundamentals most of the
time mixed with neurotic anxiety-based uncertainty that the sound isn't
optimal - hence the need to tweak and "experiment" with all kinds of
stuff while not appreciating the limits of perception and cognition.

With a bit of effort and a graceful "way out", I have seen a few guys
come around to a more rational approach and eventually abandon the
bizarre. That's of course if anyone feels the need to be a "therapist"
in these cases :-).

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.