drmatt wrote:
> Well, 24/48k would be less than twice the capacity.
I'm interested to know what the typical FLAC file size is at 24/48k
compared to 16/44.1k. I'd expect the 24/48k to be a lot larger than the
ratio of the uncompressed bit-rates (1.6:1) might suggest.

I only have 16/44.1k FLAC tracks (all CD rips), and these seem to be
compressed to around 50% of the uncompressed size. The extra 8 bits in
24-bit audio data most probably look like noise to the FLAC prediction
algorithm, so I'd expect the compression to be much less efficient than
for 16-bit audio - perhaps only 80% of the uncompressed size? That would
make 24/48k files around 2.5x the size of 16/44.1k ones. If the ratio is
much better than that, I'd question if the 24-bit version really is
24-bit, and not just zero padded from the 16-bit!