pablolie wrote:
> When even Intel declares Moore's Law in hiatus, you know semiconductor
> advances have slowed a fair amount when it comes to some design
> parameters - but not all of them.

Note that we don't talk about CPU speed anymore.  Intel nixed that years
ago.

pablolie wrote:
> I *will* build a new machine in the next year or so, but it will not be
> for performance reasons - multimedia works perfectly well with that I
> have.

I ran LMS on an Atom with 2GB for years with no issues.  I only upgraded
to an i3 when I decided to run video over my server.  My newest desktop
is a Core2 Duo E8400 and it's as fast as I need.

pablolie wrote:
> As to networking and bandwidth... I haven't been in an environment where
> music challenges stuff in a long time.

Even though my wired network is gigabit-rated, I never see anything near
that speed when moving files around.  There are other bottlenecks.
24/96 (the highest res I play) needs less than 5 MB/sec.

pablolie wrote:
> I especially think today is an amazing time to put together budget
> systems, or systems up to $10k or so.

When we moved last year I put together an NAD D3020 and NHT 2.1 system
for the living room for around $1500 that is just as enjoyable a listen
as my system in the "listening room" that costs over 10x as much.

pablolie wrote:
> *Arguably the biggest advance, and one that still hasn't sunk into the
> old fashioned brains of most audio enthusiasts, is software controlled
> and DSP based room optimization. Raise your hand if you have one!

I do!