Wombat wrote:
> :)
> It is often the retired old men in their 70s having to much time and
> love themself posting long stories of how high bitrate and less ringing
> at high samplerates is so much better. Lately i realized one very
> stubburn person posting in different forums is 75 years old with sound
> panels that max out below 20kHz. The claims follow pretty much the
> marketing speech or the words of other old men writing in the audiophile
> press these days. He must have build strong believes over the years.
> There are many it seems.

I doubt that my HF hearing limit is anywhere near 20kHz at age 62!

But I do try to stay as open-minded as possible, and usually find the
company of my adult daughters' friends preferable to the majority of my
own generation. I try to keep learning new stuff, it takes my mind off
the discomfort of my arthritic spine...

On a lighter note, a big plus for Bowers & Wilkins Customer Service:
they've just turned around the repair of the PV1 subwoofer I bought
s/hand in 2009 in less than a week from my receipt of appropriate
packaging from them (couldn't fit the original box in the boot of my
MX-5) to next day collection of the loaded package back to them, fixing
it & couriering it back to me, all for their minimum out-of-warranty
charge of £110. They have already sent me two new 5m speaker level
cables with their weird (RJ45?) connectors attached at no cost. I don't
think I can complain about that, given the money I've saved by buying
s/hand in the first place.

Although I sincerely doubt that I'll be able to detect any stereo
soundstage at the frequencies they handle (they're configured to fit in
with the -6dB mechanical roll-off of my 805S stand-mounts), having two
subwoofers in different positions should definitely improve the speaker
to room interaction, and each one should on average only be driven half
as hard so hopefully they'll last longer. And it's going to look a lot
prettier to have one at the base of each stand rather than a single one
plonked on the floor mid-way between them. Happy days.

Dave  :)