Julf wrote:
> Cafes or coffee shops? :)
>
> There are some great jazz cafes - and great venues such as Paradiso (an
> old church, and way too small for major acts, but they still do it
> because... well.. it is Paradiso), Carre (an old circus), and for
> classical, there is Concertgebouw. All within easy walking distance.

Now I'm getting really tempted!

Just got my 14.5 year old sports car back on the road this year after a
couple of years off. I'm staving off the rust monster by treating the
underside to a serious burst of Ku-rusting + Hammeriting, but it's
turned a bit chilly in Blighty for my arthritic back today. Apparently
it'll warm up on Friday & next week, so I should finish the work then. A
trip across to Europe would be fun before Brexit turns us into unwelcome
foreigners!

I'll have to content myself this week making up some leads for my
Sennheiser HD800S cans. They give you both an unbalanced cable with a
TRS jack plug and a balanced one with a 4 pin XLR connector.
Unfortunately at 3 metres they're too short to reach my sofa. However, I
have discovered by pestering Sennheiser's technical support that the
actual cables are both 4 core + overall screen. They've simply made the
common ground for the unbalanced cable by connecting 2 wires (& the
screen) to the sleeve on the jack plug. So I can chop the unbalanced
lead that I don't need up, & add some Neutrik XLR & jack plugs to make a
balanced extension lead, a short unbalanced adaptor & a another short
but weird adaptor that converts the output of two out-of-phase jack
sockets on the DAC (which has a built-in 6W balanced headphone amp) into
the standard 4 pin XLR balanced connector. This should keep me off the
streets today! By the way, these headphones knock the socks off my
system in every aspect except the extreme bass which rolls off in common
with all other open designs. It is very well controlled though so it's a
fair trade-off for the excellent sound at all other frequencies.

Sennheiser charge £250 for spare leads, & Mytek $160 for their own
adaptor, so this bit of DIY will save me £££'s. Now where's my "third
hand" & my solder gun? :D

Must concentrate to get all the connections right: but it should look
the part when I've finished because all the cabling will be the same.

Dave :)