Just to clarify, I am not in the habit of constantly changing my music
system.

The Mytek DAC & Sennheiser HD800S headphones which I recently acquired
are the first change I've made for 8 years.

If I am guilty of self-delusion in believing that the DAC makes my
system sound better (& that the Sennheisers sound better than my
loudspeakers, accepting that they prevent the sound from the opposite
channel hit my ear, and therefore do not portray the stereo image as the
recording engineer intended), then I can accept that. I'm fallible the
same as anyone else - at least I've had the benefit of some retail
therapy!

This is why I have proposed a rigorous double-blind test to establish
beyond statistical doubt whether I & any other forum member who would
care to participate (the more the merrier) can really detect the
difference in sound. I only learn something when I make mistakes, after
all...

Dave :)