ralphpnj wrote:
> Hell no, we are all here and having a hellva a good time watching you go
> toe to toe with Arny. So far I'd say that you are doing an incredible
> job, particularly when it comes to keeping a calm and level head. Arny
> seems to get under people's skin rather quickly.
>
> I don't know if any double blind test, no matter how well set up and
> conducted, will make even the slightest difference since you are not
> just battling people's use of subjective testing but also the very
> livelihoods of many, many people. And once money is involved the truth,
> objectivity and rationality always just seem to disappear, kind of the
> way God responses to prayers.

Hi Ralph!

First of all thank you for your kind words.

It's very hard to get under the skin of a Brummie like myself with
working class origins, but I think credit should be paid to the great
British taxpayers who paid for an excellent education for me. My late
father's academic achievement was rather more impressive than mine,
since he obtained a scholarship to grammar school in the pre-WW2 era
when all such establishments were fee-paying (unless you won one of the
few scholarships) having only attended the village school in rural
Worcestershire with a single teacher up to the age of 11. Massive kudos
to the teacher, he must have been extraordinary. Dad went on to get a
degree in Electrical Engineering from Birmingham University after
completing his National Service. After he managed finally to get into
the RAF (by being slightly deceitful about his age), the Germans
realised that there was now no escape and promptly surrendered 6 weeks
later.

Unfortunately my father died of a long-standing & inoperable brain
tumour on my 17th birthday (which was certainly a big wake-up call for
me about the indifference of the universe to individual human beings) so
he didn't live long enough to witness my own success in getting into
Oxford which I think would have made him proud.

One of my Dad's favourite aphorisms was "Sticks & stones may break my
bones, but words can never hurt me" - I guess I took that on board.

In any event, if you are prepared at the outset to admit your own
fallibility it's hard to get emotionally involved in an exchange of
views. I'd be happy to learn something new if anyone can point out a
genuine error in my factual premises or my logical deductions. As for
opinions, well we all have them for better or worse: the only way to
make progress is to be able to demonstrate an inconsistency between two
simultaneously-held opinions. Otherwise we must be prepared to disagree
with one another to a greater or lesser extent. The world would be a
duller place if we all held exactly the same opinion! However, one must
accept the logical possibility that two people holding different views
can in fact both be incorrect.

To end on a musical motif, Leonard Cohen has a song on his debut album
entitled "One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong" which makes my final point
poetically by the sharp use of irony.

Glad you're enjoying the view!

Dave :)