Golden Earring wrote:
> Thanks for prompt response.
>
> I suppose the massive magnets affixed to the drivers in close proximity
> to the voice coil, plus the fact that there will usually be cone motion
> induced by simultaneous higher frequencies in actual programme material
> creating a bit of a draught in the vicinity means that overheating is
> unlikely in practice.

Large magnets are not necessarily the sign of good engineering. The
magnet size needs to be optimized, not necessarily large.

Magnet assemblies can be part of the heat transfer process, but they
don't actually touch the voice coil so other approaches that do touch
the voice coil can have a better price/performance.

Thermal considerations are addressed many ways in modern woofers, but
adhesives is one technology has moved forward in a big way and provided
good results.

Note that magnetic fluid is generally not used in subwoofers because it
causes too  much damping.