drmatt wrote:
> Being serious for a moment .. I did bring up the dialect angle, yes,
> mainly because I read the papers you'd linked and thought they were not
> quite as complete an answer as you seem to think.

They weren't intended to be complete, just trying to get you started in
what for you would be a new area of investigation: Science.

> I was also pointing out that speech intelligibility improves through
> exposure to *any* speech pattern over time, as a totally separate effect
> from an adaptation to the tonal balance or audio quality.

I don't know how separate the two (basically medium versus message) are,
but I know that you can study one quite extensively and hold the other
constant, and it is all good.  They both involve learning.

> I would agree that speech intelligibility could be a similar effect to
> the perception of detail in an audio system and see how this research is
> relevant to -that- aspect alone, but I don't think that's what most
> people report as being the main effects of "burn in", real or not.

The fact of the matter is that in most of the treasured audiophile cases
of burn in, detailed technical investigation finds no relevant audible
changes. This is particularly true of gear that has to be very stable to
work well, such as DACs.  So then you have to either decide that
technology is lacking, or that the audiophiles don't understand that
they have brains that are very complex and do crazy things like learn
and remember. It is possible that while many of us of the scientific
persuasion have brains that learn and remember, the audiophiles are
lacking in this area.

> My reading of threads about burn-in, or even warm-up, on hifi equipment
> more often than not talk about "more bass" or "less bass", which if that
> were the only difference has really no impact on speech recognition
> capability.

That would be a false claim. It is easy to show that bass management is
*critical* to the accurate recognition of speech.  For example, cut it
off too high, and intelligibility goes away. Add too much, and ditto.

Of course, if you lack the ability to hear sounds and decompose them
into their component parts, and are ignorant of the relevant literature,
you might think otherwise.

> So, care to have a stab at a sensible reply?

I'm posting this for the benefit of lurkers. I know you well enough,
notadrbutaposerMatt.