It generally goes like this:

1. Audiophool is impressed by a claim along the lines of "our new
product will make your music system sound better". Such claims are often
"supported" by vague &/or selected evidence massaged by a marketing
department to entice the unwary. This proposition, however improbable,
is a scientific hypothesis though, because it *-is-* open to
experimental testing.

2. Audiophool parts with £££'s/$$$'s & connects the doubtless
impressive-looking product into his system. This would appear to be
folly...

3. Audiophool listens to music system and states "I'm *-sure-* it sounds
better than it did before" and will probably list the perceived
improvements. This is his opinion.

4. No-one subsequently conducts a rigorous experiment (for example by
analysing the signal supplied to the loudspeakers with & without the new
product after level-matching, and -*then*- should some difference be
found to exist by conducting a double-blind ABX test to determine
whether the difference is i. audible & ii. an improvement not an
impairment (more likely than an improvement!) to the musical experience
of the (unbiased) listeners.

5. Any claimed benefit of the product remains unproven because of 4. &
consequently anyone else buying it on basis of the marketing claims or
the audiophool's recommendation is also foolish (see 2.above)...

I am as much against this illogical process as anyone else on this
forum. I am merely advocating that we sharpen our pencils before driving
home our point :D .

Dave :)