Julf wrote:
> Yes, I have made pretty much the same observations. The worst ones are
> CDs resampled to DSD, and then converted to "hi-res" PCM, with the DSD
> HF noise intact...

Hi Julf,

I think we're all agreed that there is a lot of tomfoolery about.

This does not necessarily imply that high sample rates are bad per se.
I'm still trying to catch up on the theoretical stuff, but I've had a
hint that there may be frequency domain vs. time domain issues in
establishing the best size box to stick a genuine recording into.

Whether any such considerations would be audible in practice cannot be
determined when only "fake" examples are currently available.

*-If-* you lost anything audibly valuable at the ADC stage, it is
blindingly obvious that there would be no way to subsequently recover it
from a discrete set of "0"s & "1"s.

I'm staying open-minded until some genuine recordings are available. I
haven't got any DSD stuff myself but I believe some "audiophools" prefer
them to PCM. Of course other peoples' opinions don't *-prove-* anything.

Dave :)