arnyk wrote:
> VHS HiFi added a track that was buried under the video track, using a
> different carrier frequency than the video.  If memory serves, both the
> video and the audio were recorded with FM.  The audio data was recorded
> via FM which with the parameters chosen hardly gave even just 60 dB SNR
> and 50-15 KHz bandwidth, but it was also companded to boost the
> perceived dynamic range.
>
> For a little while VHS HiFi had some advocates as an alternative to
> Redbook CD optical, which was also emerging at about the same time.
> However, Redbook CD quickly captured everybody's interest and as the
> saying goes the rest is history.

Personally I would never have declared it as an alternative to CD, but
it was a convenient alternative to compact cassette if you needed long
running times.

The "hifi" track was placed alongside the video with an extra set of
heads, and obviously the non-hifi linear track had to remain where it
always was and contain a replica of the audio for compatibility with
other decks. There were i think a few decks that offered linear stereo
audio too, but not many and I don't think it was very good (particularly
when long play came along)..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

--
Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with
Debian+LMS 7.9.0