Kid Audio wrote:
> Hi,
> Being that I'm not well versed with the Transporter what exactly does
> the TransNav knob control and is it a major problem not having one.
> Thanks for any info.
>
> Kid Audio

Morning Kid!

You can operate the original Transporter without using the TransNav
knob, either by using its remote control alone or in combination with
the Logitech Media Server graphical user interface. The later
Transporter SE simply had a circular blanking plate where the knob was
without losing functionality. The large central knob does look sexier
than the flush blanking plate however.

As knobs go, it's pretty unique. You can use it on its own to operate
the unit, to control its (digital) volume control, to navigate all menus
& sub-menus, & to scroll through your music collection - the selection
choice -*accelerates*- as you turn the knob faster. The push-button
function built into it allows you to make all your selections.

If you have your kit on open display & are as young (& therefore
presumably agile) as your avatar implies, you might like to use it,
although its utility is reduced somewhat if you have a large library of
recordings because the search function (& playlist compilation) is
handled more easily through the software GUI.

As a piece of ergonomic design it's very clever. As the only mechanical
component of a now unsupported unit it is an obvious potential failure
point - nevertheless, the knob on the (then Slim Devices branded)
Transporter I own which probably dates from 2005/6 (I bought it s/hand
in 2009) still works perfectly.

Hope that helps.

Dave :)