Golden Earring wrote:
> Hi Archimago!
>
> I agree entirely with your prophecy that MQA will be judged by
> audiophile history to have been a "7 day wonder".
>
> However I note from one of your earlier blog posts that a friend of
> yours has a Mytek Brooklyn DAC (which has hardware MQA capability & was
> therefore of use for your initial investigations of MQA). I too have one
> of these "Brokkly"s, to use Wombat's expression, which I was lucky
> enough to acquire cheaply through an eBay auction - it's "ex-demo" but
> as new & warrantied.
>
> I just wondered what your opinion of this DAC is. I didn't buy mine
> because of the MQA capability but because it seemed reasonably flexible
> with regard to higher resolution PCM & DSD streams, & also includes a
> decent balanced headphone amplifier for my Sennheiser HD800S cans
> together with an MC/MM phono preamp for my legacy LP12/Ittok/Koetsu
> Rosewood Signature which I have been safeguarding through numerous
> relocations since the 1980's.
>
> Have you run any of your excellent testing routines on the Brokkly?
>
> Dave :)

Just goes to show that you can't teach Placebophiles about audio.

In general if you do proper listening comparisons among DACs, you can't
reliably hear the difference between a $7.95 DAC from eBay and the Mytec
or Benchmark products, as good as they are and as mediocre as the eBay
DAC is.

These days even just technically  mediocre is better than our ears can
tell.  Our eyes, well that is a different matter. ;-)