Julf wrote:
> Definitely. They are basically an unnecessarily complicated way of
> storing 24-bit data in a 32-bit container. Floating point makes sense
> for data with a widely varying range, but not for well-constrained audio
> data.
Tbh there are other reasons people want to do this; programming with a
32 bit word length on all your data is in some ways better and certainly
intrinsically more efficient inside the CPU itself, though of course it
doesn't add anything of any benefit to the content. We've been running
pointlessly 32 bit graphics displays for a decade or two when there's
only 24 bits of colour information.

-Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk-

--
Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with
Debian+LMS 7.9.0