RonM wrote:
> I have a Transporter in my what was in theory my main location, wired
> via ethernet to the router. I also have a Touch in a secondary listening
> location, which turns out to be used as much as the Transporter. The
> Touch uses wifi.
>
> I've noticed absolutely no difference in reliability of the connection.
> No microwave interference, which is undoubtedly at least partly because
> the microwave is some distance from the touch. But i've also used wifi
> for listening to the system through my mobile, just a few feet from the
> microwave, and haven't noticed any problems there either.
>
> As to sound quality of the connection, differences in hardware aside,
> bits are bits, as they say/
>
> R.

Hi Ron!

For many years, I used my Windows laptop (on a Wi-Fi link) as my LMS
driver with my music files on a 2TB external drive plugged into one of
its USB ports. I also used the Wi-Fi option on my Transporter (which
admittedly is within a couple of feet on my router). I too experienced
no reliability problems & no interference from my microwave or anything
else.

It was only when I acquired my Synology NAS (which does have Wi-Fi, & is
also positioned only about 3 feet from my router) that I switched to
Ethernet & thought that I might as well connect my Transporter the same
way. I've used the other 2 Ethernet ports on my router for my Panasonic
DMR-BWT800 Blu-Ray Disc Recorder & my 46" Sony Bravia TV both of which
support 3D, an effect I find very effective & am sorry to see being
abandoned in the year-on-year marketing frenzy! At least a reasonable
number of 3D Blu-Ray discs are available & they are now reasonably
affordable since it's no longer the current fad. Frankly the internet
connection on my TV is now practically useless (the BBC have even
stopped supporting its iPlayer app!) so I'm going to abandon it
altogether (Wi-Fi was a typically expensive Sony add-on which I didn't
buy... ) & use that port for a 2010-vintage 27" iMac which I recently
acquired. My PS3 (which is also right by the router) works perfectly
well on Wi-Fi & still has a working iPlayer app. Obviously the Panasonic
gizmo & the PS3 are connected via HDMI to the TV. My Epson printer is
rock solid on Wi-Fi also, that's about 10 feet away from the router, but
still at the far end of my lounge.

I suspect that the critical factors are the quality of the router (&
your microwave!) & the proximity of your kit to the router & of both to
potential sources of interference, taking account of any solid internal
walls between. I have my supplied fibre-optic Virgin Media router
switched to modem-only mode with a decent dual-band Netgear router wired
into it. There is a solid breeze-block wall between my lounge & my
kitchen, & my gear & my metal-cased Panasonic microwave are at the
opposite ends of their respective rooms from each other, probably around
30 feet apart (with the wall in-between).

Incidentally, I would strongly recommend Ralph to pay a keen young chap
to do the crawling in his loft-space: the needles from the glass-fibre
roof insulation get into your skin & can only be effectively removed by
a prolonged cold shower. If you use warm water, they simply get further
into your pores! Just saying...

Dave :cool: