Correct, never met a dlna playback device that is as satisfying to use
as an LMS end point. Add the colour touchscreen and numerous
android/iPhone apps and it's game over, frankly. Win for the
squeezeboxes.

As for sound quality, I'm extremely happy with my SBT, Mytek DAC and
Supernait amp combo. (I stopped using the built-in DAC on the Supernait
because the mytek sounds subtlely different, in a good way, to me.)

I demoed the Cyrus amps but found them not to my tastes, and I've never
really liked a Marantz amp long enough to put the batteries in the
remote.. but they are all options which may work for you.. or may not! I
demoed the NAD D7050 too. I think Arcam and Cambridge Audio may well
also have digital amps, as do a few other brands.

For reference I could not hear any difference in audio quality using the
same setup fed digital data from a Chromecast audio, but that's obvious:
sound character is determined in the analogue domain. I prefer the SBT
as a digital source however.

-Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk-

--
Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with
Debian+LMS 7.9.0