drmatt wrote:
> Hey, lots to talk about and learn, always. Me too, I'm not implying
> otherwise!
>
> Yes, the driver plus its cabinet defines the resonance properties of the
> transducer and that defines the observed impedance much more than the
> crossover electronics does, I believe. If you have scope to test it,
> replace the speaker drivers with an 8 ohm resistor and look at the
> flatness of the impedance profile! I'm no expert, but you can't dismiss
> the physical resonance of the speaker cone.
>
> But.. the 804s are much larger.. the 805s have a single combined
> bass/mid driver while the 804s each have a pair of 6" woofers for bass
> alone and a separate 6" FST midrange, both in separate compartments
> within the body of the speaker. The bass section has a front firing bass
> port, which does certainly make the speaker less badly behaved in the
> corner of a room though. The 804 is the same diameter as the 805 though,
> so the midrange cabinet is broadly similar, though in the 804 it doesn't
> have to handle anything below 200hz..
>
> I have found that standmount speakers are more "resonant" in the deep
> bass to compensate for their lack of physical volume, which can produce
> a pleasing simulation of bass but is likely less accurate. I've usually
> found floorstanders actually have tighter but better extended bass
> response, even if there's no more sheer dBs on offer.
>
> I've also found that b&w midrange drivers open up a lot when they don't
> have to handle deep bass or if you bung up the bass port to provide a
> little more damping. I believe that's the same advantage the 804 has
> over the 805. You are no doubt getting the same effect by using
> subwoofers....!
>
> -Transcoded from Matt's brain by Tapatalk-

Hi all, your discussion is bit too technical for me, but what I take
notice from your excellent remarks is that the room size and
characteristics have their importance, because showrooms are usually
larger than my room and they can give a false impression at listening,
so I shouldn't choose speakers too powerful. So sometimes the best is
not the better (hum, is it correct english ?).
On the other side, if I spend a lot of money (from my point of view, 2K€
is a lot of money) on these speakers, I wouldn't like to have to change
them if I move to a larger house, or I move them to a larger room.
Everything is a compromise, as usual.
As for the amp, I don't think I will have a valve amp, they're too
pricey. I would be very happy with something like the Rega Elex-R, which
has very good reviews. Is it powerful enough ?
Since I already have a DAC (the transporter), that will be all my hifi
investment for now.
Cheers
Antonio

LMS 7.9.0
on Linux Mageia 5 and RPI 3
1 SB3, 2 radio, 1 touch
Plugins : Trackstat, Smartmix, MusicIP, ...