Hmm... With a lot of time at home, I was revisiting my surround library
and even looking to see if anything new was available to make this work.
It seems like it would be nice for LMS to support multichannel FLAC for
devices that might have an HDMI connection for instance.  Historically,
I always went through an effort to convert the files to some DTS format
for SPDIF, but in a few cases, the audio was definitely compressed
sounding vs the original source (i.e. DVD-A, BR, etc).  I feel hokey
having to work my surround through a different system if I want to
stream it.  Actually, it isn't that big of a deal as I can make an mkv
file for use in Plex, but then I'm using my TV to listen to music.

Oh well.  I have some time now, I might explore what is possible through
a Raspberry Pi outside of LMS (at least for the surround files).

By the way, there are definitely some albums out there that when
listened in surround are awesome.  Many aren't, but that's ok.