mikecbetts wrote:
> I’m looking to upgrade my Transporter which I’ve had since 2008.
> Rest of my system is vintage Naim and I find the Transporter a little
> ‘clinical’ sounding and lacking in warmth. Also compared to modern
> units like a Naim Uniti Atom which I recently demoed, the Transporter
> lacks some detail, depth and separation.
> Anyone have experience with KTB or Modi 3?
> I know there are a ton of expensive DACs that would transform my sound -
> but I’m saving up for a Naim ND5 XS2, so don’t want to spend more that
> €150 euros for a DAC to upgrade the Transporter right now.
> Is that possible, or just a waste of a time and I should wait for the
> ND5 XS2?

I have a totally unscientific, only semi related observation. I have had
a schitt bifrost for about 5 years, that I am running a touch through on
my second system. I also am over 60 so my ears aren't what they once
were. The A/B difference between the bifrost and the touch dac was
significant, very significant. I love it. I also have an Oppo BDP-105D
which is a sort of pre/pro, which has an excellent DAC. The 105 was
about a $600 upgrade over the 103, mostly due to the dac and balanced
analog output. I was thinking of moving the bifrost to my main system,
so I A/B'ed the oppo and the bifrost side by side, real time. I really
don't think I heard a difference (my older ears). I came to the
conclusion I was hearing similar $500 worth of DAC.

I think that schiit products are excellent, but have not heard the modi
3.   I also no nothing about the transporter, as I have not owned one.

So, some random thoughts that might help? :confused:

Jim