foxesden wrote:
> If you use a Pi 3B or Pi 4. Then any audibly transparent USB DAC will do
> the job.
>
> Pay more for features or a nice case. I have found the measurements at
> www.Audiosciencereview.com (ASR) to be very useful and they have
> measured a ton of DACs.

I agree. Not messing with HATs makes case choice easier, too!

With two Pi4 players configured, one Coax-> DAC, the other USB into the
same Topping E30 DAC, I can't tell a difference. The cheaper Topping DAC
probably outperforms the older non-USB Schiit DAC (and my ears).

Having an all in one unit for compactness might appeal to some while
others may prefer an external DAC for versatility and breadth of choice
at all price points.

Upside everywhere, everything sounds better than the DAC in the SB1.

*Server*: LMS 8.x nightly, Raspberry Pi OS booting off external 'USB
SATA drive dock'
(https://www.inateck.com/media/catalog/product/cache/e4d64343b1bc593f1c5348fe05efa4a6/6/1/61j8z8y0vpl__sl1300_.jpg)
with 1TB SSD
*Home Office*: Squeezelite player via server-mounted HifiBerry Digi+ Pro
HAT -> Schiit DAC -> ARCAM FMJ A19 + Monitor Audio Silver
*Family System*: Squeezebox 1 and/or Chromecast Bridge plugin +
Chromecast Audio TOSLINK -> Topping E30 DAC -> Onkyo AV Receiver /
Klipsch 6.1 config
*Phone*: Squeeze Player, Squeezer on Android
*Other Players*: Bunch of Chromecast devices