amey01 wrote:
> Where do I start?
> It does depend on how small or high end you call “boutique” though.
> To save an argument on “competently designed electronics” (your previous
> post), I’ll concentrate on speakers - is that okay?
> I’ve heard all these and they sound mind-snappingly good.
>
> 1. Sanders Sound (Innersound) 10c electrostatics
> 2. Lansche Audio Corona
> 3. Avantgarde Trio G1
> 4. Apogee Scintilla refurbished by Graz
> 5. Quad ESL 57s in original condition (maybe not boutique back in the
> day, but certainly are now)
When I mentioned "boutique" gear I was primarily thinking of
electronics. There are some weird and wonderful DACs and amplifiers out
there that cost a fortune and perform no better than mainstream stuff at
1/10th the price.

Speakers are a very personal thing. They all have their own character
and will dominate the sound of a system. That's why I said in my
original post that the only way to get any meaningful improvement is to
change the speakers, and that it might cost a lot of money. (Then you
pointed out that room treatment is another avenue to explore, and of
course you are correct).

The point I was trying to make is that changing electronics these days
isn't going to achieve anything of significance.

(As for the speakers you mention, I've only heard the Apogee and ESL57.
Both sounded great in their own way).

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A