"Peru's government has declared a state of emergency in three
northern provinces following nine days of protests by indigenous
groups in the Amazon basin. Members of sixty-five Indian tribes are
protesting a law that would make it easier for communal land to be
sold to developers. The protests began when the Indians blocked an
important natural gas installation and oil pipeline. Peru's
Environment Minister Antonio Brack condemned the protests.

Indigenous activist: "We conserve the environment. We are not
ignorant. We are prepared. We know that foreigners want to buy our
Amazon lands, because they know they are the world's lungs. We will
not allow this. We will die fighting for our rights."

Antonio Brack: "The indigenous groups have occupied the Corral
Quemado bridge, closed the marginal motorway and threatened to shut
off the oil and gas pipelines in Camisea, and the Peruvian state
can't allow this to happen."But indigenous activists vowed to keep
fighting to protect their land.

http://www.andeanaymara.com/2008/08/19/peru-declares-state-of-
emergency-following-indigenous-protests/

Responder a