Type O and type A are the most prevalent blood types in all countries. It is
the same for Azoreans. In fact someone with type O- is considered to be a
universal donor with only a few rare exceptions. O+ can be given to people
with A+, B+, AB+ and O+, but O- can be given to the other blood types + or -
without causing problems. While everyone who is able, should donate blood,
people with an O or rare blood type are especially needed as blood donors.

As for the RH factor (the + or -); Everyone has two genes that determine
your RH. One from each parent. Positive is the dominant gene.  If one or
both of a person's genes are positive they are positive.  Which is why more
people are positive.  Both genes have to be negative for you to have a
negative RH.

Nancy, your family is a perfect example. Your father had to have had one
positive gene and one negative gene and your mother has two negative genes.
That one positive gene being dominant was passed on to 4 of his 6 children
while only 2 managed to get a double negative from him.

While I think that we a special in so many ways...;)   I don't think that we
Azoreans are any more likely to have rare blood types or a certain RH factor
than any other race. Statistically, we have basically the same ratios as
everyone else.  For myself, I am very glad to have the most common blood
type on the planet (O+). In case I ever need it, it won't be hard to find.

Jacki

Pittsburg, CA
Surnames: Medeiros, Fernandes, Pereira, Pacheco, Machado, Azevedo
Islands: Faial, Sao Miguel

  _____