On 11/22/05, Amias Channer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 08:22:53 +0000
> Richard Lockwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On 11/13/05, Adam Leach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > This is a bigger problem as iMP is using standard Microsoft WMA DRM
> > > files.  As this is widely used, there are more people interested in
> > > bypassing the DRM system, and so eventually it will always be bypassed,
> >
> > Fair enough
>
> DRM is a waste of time IMHO , the time would be better spent working out
> a revenue model that allowed free delivery of content .
>
> > > plus its created by Microsoft.
> >
> > Right.  Could someone explain to me exactly why this is a problem?
> > Widely used, so an obvious target for bypassing - yes, I'll go along
> > with that.  "Created by Microsoft" - no, that's not a problem.  Had
> > you said "Created by Microsoft and has inherent security flaws as
> > <whoever>", then yes, that would be a valid point.  Simply slating
> > something because it's created by one manufacturer is not.  I might
> > not like Volvo cars, but I don't feel the need to slag off the airbag
> > at every possible vaguely related opportunity.
>
> er , you 'forgot' the lockins where its very hard / illegal for users of
> other systems to gain access to documents / media produced by M$ formats
> and don't get me started on the forced upgrades for profit stuff either.
>
> That is enough for me and a growing number of people to ignore microsoft
> formats out of hand. Try standing up for a company people like instead.

No.  I'm not going to stand up for a company that "people like", for
several reasons:
1.  Don't even *think* about telling me what I should and shouldn't support
2.  A "company people like"?  Like Google, for example?  That'll be
the same Google that a couple of years ago was the darling of everyone
in the computer industry, and is now the second-most vilified company
in the (popular) IT Press?  *That* "company that everyone likes"?
3.  Ignoring something "out of hand" would make me even smaller-minded
than that company.  It's the Vicky Pollard syndrome.  "Yeah, but she
don't like me so I won't like her and' I'll get all my mates to not
like her as well."

Try looking at products produced by a company as individual pieces of
software/programmes (as opposed to programs)/initiatives, and taking
each on its own merits.  You never know, you might broaden your mind a
little.

Cheers,

Rich.