On 04/06/07, Jamie Tetlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Gary,

I'm not that close to the DAB side of things but I asked a few questions for
you and so here are some answers:

"The main aim was to ensure all of our services are lumped together on DAB
radios. Some radios default to listing "by multiplex" but the majority list
stations in alphabetical order. So, the old "Radio 1", "6 Music" and 1 Xtra"
short names left these networks stranded away from the rest of the BBC
family.

By putting "BBC" and, in most cases, "BBC R" in front of everything we can
ensure that all radios list our networks in one lump. The significance is
that if your network is close to a popular (BBC) network (e.g. Radio 2) you
can benefit from the audience wealth of your neighbour when people decide to
browse around. It's a case of a few crumbs from the table but this could
develop in to future loyal listening. Also, many people did not recognise
some of our stations as BBC networks ... we weren't getting credit and they
weren't getting the credibility associated with this.

Being in consecutive order was not a major consideration just a logical
by-product."

...to back that up I've heard mention of a recent study or two showing that
our listeners do hold "BBC Radio" in high esteem as a brand so perhaps you
can expect to see this kind of consistency rolling out elsewhere,

hope that helps,

Jamie.

---
Jamie Tetlow
Designer, Audio & Music

BBC Future Media & Technology
718, Henry Wood House, W1B 3DF

On 29/5/07 14:25, "Gary Kirk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Last night I noticed my digital radio (The Bug) displayed "BBC Radio
> 7" instead of the usual BBC 7. The shortcut also displayed as BBC R7,
> like Radio 4 does. I investigated and found 6music had also changed -
> BBC Radio 6 music.
>
> Why is this? Obviously it's a radio broadcast - it's a digital
> radio... BBC Radio 1 - 4 & Five Five I understand, as, broadcast on
> traditional radio, have always been called this; 7 never has.

Unofficial list archive:
http://www.mail-archive.com/backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk/

Thanks for the interesting explanation!

--