In my humble experience most users would not be able to install
software on _any_ OS without support from a more experienced friendly
user - especially if that OS is MS Windows. They would certainly not be
able to install an OS from scratch.

As for Linux: I've installed Ubuntu on a dozen computers for completely
non-technical users. Of those, only one switched back to MS Windows. The
others are all happy running Linux and the majority say that it is much
easier to use and are quite happy installing/removing software and
running updates using the graphical tools in Gnome or KDE. Yes, most had
to be shown how to do it and some bought manuals to help, but exactly
the same can be said about Windows or OS X - hence all the novice level
books in the shops.

The arguments about Linux being "hard" are almost always based on the
fact that it is different to the incumbent pre-installed OS (usually MS
Windows), not on the actual difficulty in using it. Strange how you
never hear that argument against Apple's OS X when people switch from
Windows to Mac, even though those have very different interfaces.

Hmm, how on Earth did anyone manage to use computers before the GUI?

C.

[These are just my humble mumblings on the matter]